2 Mar 2015

Bill O’Reilly admits he did not see “Irish terrorists kill” in Northern Ireland

Fox News has now stated that host Bill O’Reilly’s claim that he saw action in Northern Ireland was based on seeing photographs of violence shown him by police, the Washington Post reports. 
O’Reilly’s claims to have seen violence in Northern Ireland and elsewhere have come under withering fire from his opponents.
O’Reilly has stated that he reported from Northern Ireland and in his 2013 book “Keep it Pithy” he stated “I’ve seen....Irish terrorists kill and maim their fellow citizens in Belfast with bombs.”
However, the Washington Post points out he told syndicated radio host Hugh Hewitt a different story: “We went on a raid in Divis Flats (Republican stronghold high rise  flats ) with the police. And it was a pretty intense situation. There was stuff being thrown, arrests being made, all of that.”
“Were you in fear of physical harm?” Hewitt asked.
No, O’Reilly said.
Fox News clarified to the Washington Post that O’Reilly had been shown pictures of violent incidents and victims of bombings by police but had not actually seen any such incidents first hand himself.
That explanation is very similar to what they told critics about his time in El Salvador where he stepped back from comments about seeing nuns shot to seeing pictures of nuns who were shot.
The Washington Post stated that they asked Fox about O’Reilly’s statements on Northern Ireland Friday, and a Fox News spokesman said that “O’Reilly was not an eyewitness to any bombings or injuries in Northern Ireland. Instead, he was shown photos of bombings by Protestant police officers.”
O’Reilly went to Belfast in 1984 to research a book that never actually got written. At the time he was working for the Boston WCBV TV station but covered only local stories and did commentaries though he did have contacts with Irish Americans concerned about what was happening in Northern Ireland. 

Here’s a List Of 30 Anti-Jew Democrats Boycotting Netanyahu and Turning Their Backs On Israel

These 30 Congressional Democrats will skip Netanyahu’s speech on the survival of Israel.
House (26)
Rep. Earl Blumenauer (Ore.) — Wrote a Jan. 29 column in The Huffington Post explaining his decision, saying the Constitution “vests the responsibility for foreign affairs in the president.”
Rep. G.K. Butterfield (N.C.) — The head of the Congressional Black Caucus (CBC) focused on Boehner undermining Obama in a statement and emphasized he’s not urging a boycott.
Rep. Andre Carson (Ind.)

Rep. James Clyburn (S.C.) — Clyburn is the highest-ranking Democratic leader to say he’ll skip the speech.
Rep. Steve Cohen (D-Tenn.): “After deliberation, I have decided I cannot in good conscience attend the Prime Minister’s speech. My decision not to attend is not a reflection of my support for Israel and its continued existence as a state and home for the Jewish people. I have always strongly supported Israel and I always will,” said Cohen in a statement.
Rep. Diana DeGette (Colo.)
Rep. Donna Edwards (Md.)
Rep. Keith Ellison (Minn.) — He is head of the Congressional Progressive Caucus (CPC), a member of the CBC and the first Muslim in Congress.
Rep. Raúl Grijalva (Ariz.) — Grijalva is a co-chairman of the CPC.
Rep. Luis Gutiérrez (Ill.) — A spokesman told the Chicago Sun-Times that Gutierrez has a “strong” record on Israel but called the speech “a stunt.”
Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D.C.)
Rep. Eddie Bernice Johnson (Texas) — “The Congresswoman has no plans to attend the speech at this time,” a spokeswoman said.
Rep. Barbara Lee (Calif.) — A member of the CBC and former head of the CPC.
Rep. John Lewis (Ga.) — His office confirmed he’s not going but emphasized he’s not organizing a formal boycott
Rep. Betty McCollum (Minn.): “In my view Mr. Netanyahu’s speech before Congress is nothing more than a campaign event hosted by Speaker Boehner and paid for by the American people,” McCollum said in a statement.”
Rep. Jim McDermott (Wash.) — “I do not intend to attend the speech of Bibi,” he said in an email to a Seattle newspaper.
Rep. Gregory Meeks (N.Y.) — A CBC member.
Rep. Beto O’Rourke (Texas)
Rep. Chellie Pingree (Maine)
Rep. Charles Rangel (N.Y.) — “I’m offended as an American,” he said on MSNBC.
Rep. Cedric Richmond (La.)
Rep. Jan Schakowsky (Ill.)
Rep. Bennie Thompson (Miss.)
Rep. John Yarmuth (Ky.) — “We know what he is going to say,” the Jewish lawmaker said in a statement.
Senate (3)
Sen. Patrick Leahy (Vt.) — Leahy called it a “tawdry and high-handed stunt,” according to a Vermont newspaper.
Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) — Sanders, who caucuses with Democrats, said it’s “wrong” that Obama wasn’t consulted about the speech.
Sen. Brian Schatz (Hawaii) — “The U.S.-Israel relationship is too important to be overshadowed by partisan politics,” said Schatz in a statement. “I am disappointed in the Republican leadership’s invitation of Prime Minister Netanyahu to address a joint session of Congress with the apparent purpose of undermining President Obama’s foreign policy prerogatives.”

In addition:

Barack Obama will not attend.
Vice President Joe Biden will not attend.
Secretary of State John F. Kerry will not attend.
These antisemitic Democrats are putting party politics and support for Obama ahead of Israels survival to their everlasting shame.

Methane Found on Mars, Indicates Life May Once Have Existed There: Nasa

After an exhaustive analysis of data obtained during 605 Martian days, Nasa'sCuriosity rover has confirmed the presence of methane on Mars environment which may hint that life once existed on the Red Planet.
The tunable laser spectrometer in the SAM (Sample Analysis at Mars) instrument of the Curiosity rover has unequivocally detected an episodic increase in the concentration of methane in Mars' atmosphere.
This puts an end to the long controversy on the presence of methane in Mars, which started over a decade ago when this gas was first detected with telescopes from the Earth, the authors from the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) reported.
Since methane can be the product of biological activity - practically all the existing methane in the Earth's atmosphere originates in this way - this has created great expectations that Martian methane could also be of a similar origin. 
"It is a finding that puts paid to the question of the presence of methane in the Martian atmosphere but it does pose some other more complex and far-reaching questions, such as the nature of its sources," said study co-author Francisco Javier Martin-Torres from the Andalusian Institute of Earth Sciences (CSIC-UGR) at the University of Granada, Spain.
"The sources, we believe, must lie in one or two additional sources that were not originally contemplated in the models used so far. Among these sources, we must not rule out biological methanogenesis," he added.
According to some current models, if there really existed methane in Mars, it would remain there for an average 300 years and during this period, it would be homogeneously distributed across the atmosphere.
SAM has been detecting basal levels of methane concentration and has confirmed an event of episodic increase of up to 10 times this value during a period of 60 Martian days.
The new data are based on observations during almost one Martian year (almost two Earth years), included in the initial prediction for the duration of the mission (nominal mission), during which Curiosity has surveyed about 8 kms in the basin of the Gale crater.

NSA's bulk collection of American data gets approved again: a year after the president promised to end the program.

The NSA's bulk collection of the telephone records of United States citizens has been approved again by a federal court.
The program must be reapproved every 90 days to continue. The recent approval went a few days past its mark to line up with June 1, 2015 as the end of the new 90-day cycle. June 1 is when the program, under Section 215 of the PATRIOT Act, must be reauthorized or reformed by Congress, according to its written parameters.

If no action is taken by Congress, Section 215 will expire and bulk collection under it will end. However, many experts have pointed out how bulk collection programs could continue regardless of Section 215. Many of them have recommended a robust reform of the program, rather than just letting it expire.

This is the fifth time to program has been extended since President Obama claimed he would find a way to end bulk collection. The previously secret program was famously revealed to the public by Edward Snowden.

This Ice Maker Works A Little Too Well (4 pics)

It's good to have an ice maker that works, but how much is too much.




Photographer Captures Incredible Frozen Ocean Waves Off The Coast (5 pics)

Jonathan Nimerfroh is a photographer and surfer who says he's obsessed with the ocean. He happened to be in the right place at the right time recently while walking along the coast of Nantucket. He happened to capture some waves that were nearly frozen and he managed to snap a few unique pictures. The temperature on this day was 19 F and -7 C which caused the waves to freeze but not completely.





1 Mar 2015

How Apple lost $533 million to an 8th-grade dropout patent troll

One of its mistakes was to make a fuss about Patrick Racz’ education in front of a Texas jury.

Apple rarely comments on legal matters, and when it does it chooses its words carefully. So I read with interest the statement it issued after it was ordered to pay $532.9 million to Smartflash LLC for willful infringement of three U.S. patents. It’s a classic of the genre:
Smartflash makes no products, has no employees, creates no jobs, has no U.S. presence, and is exploiting our patent system to seek royalties for technology Apple invented. We refused to pay off this company for the ideas our employees spent years innovating and unfortunately we have been left with no choice but to take this fight up through the court system. We rely on the patent system to protect real innovation and this case is one more example of why we feel so strongly Congress should enact meaningful patent reform.”
You don’t have to love the U.S. patent system or non-practicing entities (A.K.A. patent trolls) to wonder: How the hell did Apple lose this case?
It’s a question that took on new urgency when Smartflash turned around two days later and sued Apple again, this time for infringement of four new patents. Drawing on the same set of seven patents company has also sued Samsung, Google, and Amazon
I wasn’t able to reach Apple’s attorneys, but I did have a chat with Brad Caldwell, the Dallas-based patent infringement specialist who represented Smartflash. He tells a curious story.
“I think the reason we won,” he says, “is because we focused on the questions that were going to be presented to the jury: Were the patents valid? Did Apple infringe? Was the infringement willful?”
Apple, according to Caldwell, focused on everything but the issue at hand: Three digital rights management patents granted Patrick Racz et al. between 2008 and 2012. (7,334,7208,118,221, and 8,336,772.)
 
Apple, he says, “paraded witness after witness through courtroom who couldn’t be bothered to read the patents.”
I haven’t seen the full transcript of the six-day trial, but I’ve read enough to get a feel for what Caldwell is talking about.
When Apple’s lawyers got Racz on the stand they brought up his education (he left school at 8th grade), his horticultural training, the fact that he was from a farming family on the Isle of Jersey. They asked him, according to Caldwell: “Did you invent the Internet?” “Did you invent touch screen technology?”
Racz, of course, had not.
By contrast, Augustin Farrugia, Apple’s director of security and its key witness, had previously designed the national banking system for Singapore. On the stand he said he too hadn’t gotten around to reading Racz’ patents.
“They thumbed their nose at other people,” says Caldwell. “They acted like we’re Apple and have no need to respect other people’s intellectual property.”
The jury, I’m told, was paying close attention. They took notes. They deliberated for eight hours. They found for the plaintiff.

This is EXACTLY What We Can Expect from Big Brother on “Net Neutrality”


Thursday marked the largest government intervention into the Internet ecosphere in American history. By equating the dynamic 21st century Internet to the telephone system of 1934, the Federal Communications Commission has thrust powerful but antiquated utility-style regulations onto the U.S. tech economy.

To justify its actions, the FCC had to resort to misleading distortions that essentially asserted “the Internet is so horribly broken that only the government can fix it.” And “you can trust unelected Washington bureaucrats to do a better job of running the highly complex Net than engineers, entrepreneurs and consumers.”
The FCC’s power grab discards the bipartisan light-touch regulatory framework laid out during the Clinton administration. That hands-off approach made the Net the greatest deregulatory success story of all time.
History teaches us that utility-style regulation raises costs to consumers, reduces investment and innovation, and creates uncertainty due to the politics-driven nature of “mother may I innovate” government mandates.Regulation only grows. Now the Internet cannot escape that fate.

The ultimate result of more government encroachment will be something akin to the sagging European Internet market, where investment in broadband infrastructure is only one-fourth of America’s due to heavy-handed regulations. Even worse, this new power grab could trigger expanded intergovernmental powers over the Web through existing telecom treaties, jeopardizing Internet freedom.
What many in Silicon Valley don’t understand is that, according to the Supreme Court’s 2005 Brand X decision, nearly any “tech” company that builds a telecom-style network to deliver its content and apps has the potential to be captured by the FCC’s new rules. If the agency tries to exempt some companies but not others, it will be choosing the politically favored over everyone else. …

Read More:http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2015/02/26/fcc-net-neutrality-robert-mcdowell-editorials-debates/24089143/ 

4 More Victims Come Forward From Chicago Secret Prison, Man Tortured Over Weed

Four more victims of incarceration at Chicago’s Guantanamo Bay style secret detention/torture center, known as Homan Square, have come out and spoken to The Guardian about their experience being essentially treated like cattle. They are four black males, Brock Terry, Kory Wright, Deandre Hutcherson and David Smith.
Three of them were held in 2006, and one in 2011.
They were kicked in the genitals while helpless and bound, put in ‘kennels for humans’, and they heard the bloodcurdling screams of other helpless victims while they thought they would never see the light of day again.
One man named Brock Terry was caught with five pounds of cannabis, and ended up being shackled to the “little circular thing behind the bench”, arms spread open, being fed only twice in 3 days. The Chicago Police are known for turning up the temperature in the facility extremely high, and then depriving victims of water while they are tied up, arms extended.
“I sat in that place for three days, man – with no talking, no calls to nobody,” Terry said. “They call police stations, I’m not there, I’m not there.”
“I was kept there. I didn’t speak to a lawyer or anything,” he continued. “I didn’t interact with nobody for three days. And then when I do see the light of day, I go straight to another police station, go straight there to county and be processed.”
He also said he didn’t see any other victims there, but he heard cries from people being seemingly tortured, and they screamed “no, no, no” and “stop”.
Another black man named Deandre Hutcherson was shackled in the same vulnerable position, and he said he was punched in the face, and stomped in the genitals “like he [the cop] was putting a cigarette out”

Thai temple to build separate toilets for non-Chinese visitors because of the state that Chinese tourists were leaving the toilets in.

A famous temple in northern Thailand will build separate toilets for Thais and other non-Chinese tourists after Chinese tourists apparently made lavatories unusable for others, German news agency DPA reported on Saturday.
Wat Rong Khun, better known as the White Temple, in Chiang Rai will add the new toilets in response to complaints about alleged grossly inconsiderate behaviour by Chinese tourists, temple officials said according to DPA.
"They had defecated on the floor, urinated on the walls outside and left sanitary pads on the wall of the bathrooms," an official who requested anonymity was quoted as saying.
The temple's designer, Chalermchai Kositpipat, said in a television interview that it was "impossible" for other tourists to use the bathrooms so he would build new ones, DPA reported.
Previously, the temple had even banned Chinese tourists altogether after Chinese tour groups left the toilets in a state of disrepair.
Mainland Chinese are for the biggest source of tourist arrivals in Thailand, but a spate of alleged misbehaviour by Chinese tourists have left many Thais incensed.
Last year, 4.62 million Chinese visited Thailand, accounting for 18.7 per cent of all international arrivals, more than any other nationality, Bangkok Post reported.
In another recent incident, a tourist identified as a Chinese national was filmed kicking a sacred bell at Wat Phra That Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai, the Post said. A video of the incident posted anonymously online drew widespread condemnation.
Reports of tourists relieving themselves in public in Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai have also sparked complaints.
Read More:http://www.straitstimes.com/news/asia/south-east-asia/story/thai-temple-build-separate-toilets-non-chinese-visitors-after-compla